Wednesday, November 3, 2010

About This Blog

Stories, ideas and opinions, if not shared, become a dead end.  My intent is to share interesting news stories that I encounter from a considerable variety of sources.  I will emphasize things that perhaps are not widely read.  Topics may include but will not be limited to sports, science, politics, or just unusual events.  Naturally, I will not hold back on offering my own commentary.  For starters, how about some random thoughts on the current state of the Green Bay Packers.

1.  After hundreds of key injuries, I was ready to throw in the towel on this season.  However, it now appears that the defense is actually better with Desmond Bishop replacing Nick Barnett at linebacker, and with Charlie Peprah replacing Morgan Burnett at saftey.  I have always felt that Barnett was overrated, and Peprah has caught my eye on more than one occasion in preseason games.  Bishop and Peprah have been with this team for quite a while.  I wonder why the coaches couldn't figure this out sooner.  Some coaches just seem to have a knack for figuring out which players are PLAYERS.  I have always thought that this is the true magic of Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.  On the other hand, historically the Packers seem to release a lot of players that go on to be quite successful with other teams.      

2.  I, for one, am getting tired of James Jones dropping passes, running bad routes, fumbling, or not competing for the ball.  It often looks like he is coasting.  I would play Brett Swain in front of him.

3.  Has anyone seen Tom Rossley?  It sure seems like he is calling the plays lately.  Perhaps he is advising McCarthy through that stupid head set?

4.  There is a tremendous amount of luck in the NFL.  The Packers have to be the unluckiest team this year, with respect to injuries, and with their close losses.  But luck carried them to wins over the Vikes and Jets.  There were many close plays in these games and almost all of them went their way.  They could easily be 3-5, but also could be 8-0.

5.  The Packers beat the 5-1 Jets on the road, so I expect that they will lose to the 1-6 Cowboys at home.  This will depend, however, on the predictions of local sports writers.  I have noticed that when they ALL pick the Packers to win. more often than not they lose.  It is a bit uncanny.  I am always relieved a bit when I find at least one of them to pick them to lose.  I will watch for this contrarian indicator later this week.  But 6-3 at the bye would put them in a nice postion for the second half of the season.

6.  With all the injuries in the NFL, I think the league should expand the roster limits.  My God, the Packers almost ran out of defensive lineman on more than one occasion.  Do you think Goodell would listen to me?  Not likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment