Wednesday, November 24, 2010


Today I encountered a 33 y/o patient with incurable cancer.  This unfortunate lady, so young, was accompanied by her father to the doctor’s office.  They were obviously devastated to learn the bad news.  Although I have not and likely will never meet this patient, I am touched by this sadness just the same. 

As a pathologist, I do not regularly deal directly with patients.  But as I gaze at cancer cells through my microscope, I am cognizant of the human suffering that comes with this disease.  All too often I am the bearer of bad news.  Although I don’t know or meet these patients, I am quite aware that every one is somebody’s cherished daughter, son, sister, brother, father, mother, cousin or friend.

I do not expect life to be free of pain and suffering.  Rather, I expect the opposite, as this is a natural and necessary part of life itself.  But on this Thanksgiving, like every other, I am thankful for every breath that I get to breathe.  Life is so fragile. In my job I am regularly reminded of this.  Every day is precious – every moment. 

During the past three years, I have had left shoulder surgery, back surgery, and a second torn Achilles tendon.  In three weeks I am going to have carpal tunnel surgery and right shoulder surgery.  But I do not feel unlucky.  Rather, I am thankful.  I am thankful that I live in a time where broken parts can be fixed.  I am thankful that I have had broken parts that can be fixed.  I am thankful for skilled doctors and modern anesthesia.  I am thankful for the best medical system in the history of the world.  I am thankful that I can have all this done without being put on a waiting list, or requiring prior approval by some mindless government official.  I am very thankful I tore my Achilles in the fall –  so I could get in a whole season of golf and gardening, and hopefully not miss a beat next spring - Impeccable timing!  I am thankful that I have a caring wife that waited on me hand and foot and drove me where I needed to be (although eventually I figured out how to drive with my left leg).  And I am thankful that I haven’t rear ended another car while driving with my left leg!

Just think of all the other places and times we could have been born.  How is it that we ended up here, now?  Imagine being born even a couple hundred years earlier – no modern anesthesia, surgery, pain medication, or even penicillin!  Imagine a world without modern plumbing or refrigeration! I don’t know how they did it.  I know everything is relative but for God's sake,  I could not live without at least one hot shower a day.  Thank you God for putting me on this earth after Sir Thomas Crapper invented the modern toilet.  And thank you for taking care of me and my family!
                                                  HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

No comments:

Post a Comment